Saturday, January 10, 2015

Voice from Another River

 Late morning downriver.


Late afternoon upriver.

The near disappearance of the river under the ice underlines the nature of the Ottauquechee as a presence not easily defined.

Yesterday I opened a book I received for Christmas, The Best Spiritual Writing 2002. Leafing through, I found these words from Barry Lopez, written about his long observation of western Oregon's McKenzie River.

"Almost every day I go down to the river with no intention but to sit and watch.  I have been watching the river for thirty years, just the three or four hundred yards of it I can see from the forested bank, a run of clear, quick water about 350 feet wide.  If I have learned anything here, it's that each time I come down, something I don't know yet will reveal itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment